mercoledì 13 dicembre 2006

Congenital Cytomegalovirus infection








Findings

Figures 1 and 2: Ultrasound images demonstrate multiple echogenic foci in a periventricular distribution. There is no hydrocephalus or evidence of callosal agenesis.
Figures 3, 4 and 5: Axial CT images show high attenuation within the subependymal region, consistent with calcifications.


Diagnosis: Congenital Cytomegalovirus infection


Differential diagnosis for congenital intracranial calcifications:
- Congenital TORCH infection
- Tuberous sclerosis
- Teratomas
- Sturge-Weber syndrome
- Venous sinus thrombosis


Cytomegalovirus is the most common congenital viral infection in the TORCH group, and occurs as a result of transplacental transmission of the virus from an infected mother. Most infections are asymptomatic; symptomatic infections can present with a variety of manifestations, such as seizures, mental retardation, optic nerve involvement, and sensorineural hearing loss. Timing of the maternal infection during gestation may play a role in determining the severity of symptoms, with early infection leading to a more severe presentation.

Central nervous system abnormalities associated with CMV infections include calcifications, ocular deficits, parenchymal atrophy, periventricular cyst formation (occipital lobes), deafness, cerebellar hypoplasia, and ventriculomegaly. Neuronal migrational anomalies are most common in CMV infection relative to other TORCH infections.

Periventricular and subependymal calcifications are a common manifestation of CMV infection. Periventricular calcifications can also be seen in toxoplasmosis and bacterial meningitis with ventriculitis. Calcifications in CMV tend to be limited to the subependymal region, whereas in toxoplasmosis, calcifications can also seen throughout the parenchyma. Calcifications in herpes simplex and rubella are much less common. Calcified subependymal nodules may also be seen in tuberous sclerosis, however calcifications tend to occur in adolescence, as opposed to the neonatal period.

Ultrasound may also play an adjunctive role in visualizing the manifestations of CMV. Sonographic findings suggestive of CMV infection include ventriculomegaly, multiple periventricular and intraparenchymal echogenic foci (representing intracranial calcifications), gyral abnormalities, occipital periventricular cysts, and hydrocephalus.

2 commenti:

  1. I really appreciate DR AKHIGBE,my name is LAURIE HUGHES . I will never stop testifying DR AKHIGBE , Happiness is all i see now I never thought that I will be cured from HIV virus again. DR AKHIGBE did it for me I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HIV) for the past 2 years now, I had spent a lot of money going from one place to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I saw a testimony on how DR AKHIGBE helped someone in curing his HIV disease in internet quickly I copied his email which is drrealakhigbe@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days, after using the herbal cure and i did, behold I was free from the deadly disease,till now no HIV in me again he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now,all the testimony of DR AKHIGBE is true please BROTHER and SISTER, MOTHER and FATHER he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on drrealakhigbe@gmail.com or you can whats App his mobile number on +2348142454860 He can also cure these diseases like HIV and AIDS HERPES,DIABETICS,CANCER, HEPATITIS A&B,CHRONIC DISEASES, ASTHMA, HEART DISEASES, EXTERNAL INFECTION, EPILEPSY, STROKE, LUPUS,ECZEMA,BACK PAIN,JOINT PAIN. .ETC .please email drrealakhigbe@gmail.com...or whats APP him ..+2348142454860 he is a real good and honest man.

    RispondiElimina
  2. I'M TOTALLY FREE FROM HERPES VIRUS/HIV/AIDS
    HIV/Herpes is a serious and recurring condition that cannot be cured by drugs or injections. But the best way to fight and get rid of the herpes virus permanently is to take natural herbal remedies, I read about DR JAMES, the great herbal Doctor, who cures people of HIV with his powerful herbal mix medicine and spiritual healing. I contacted him to find out how he could help me, and he told me never to be worried that he would help me with the natural herbs' medicine! After 2 days of contacting him, he told me the medicine is ready, and he sent it to me via DHL COURIER SERVICE and it got me in 3 days! I used the medication as he prescribed for me (MORNING and EVENING) and I was cured! It's really like a dream, but I'm so happy! For people suffering from the following diseases Alzheimer disease, Eczema, Shingles, MS, Bulbous Pemphigoid, Diabetes, cancer, PCOS, hypothyroidism, vaginal rashes, Herpes, COPD, HIV, arthritis, HPV, liver disease, autoimmune diseases, Parkinson's disease, Lupus Schizophrenia, Autism, Bipolar disorder, Infertility Get your EX back, Enlargement of Breast, Penis, Butts. And more should contact him for his herbal medicine, because I am a living witness, and I was cured of herpes virus. And DR James' medicine is legitimate. I sent him what he asked for, and he sent me his medication which I took for 2 weeks and today I am here with a negative result. When I went for the test, I was so happy after I took his herbal mix medicine. CONTACT DR JAMES FOR A PERMANENT CURE Email: DRJAMESHERBALMIX@GMAIL.COM.
    He's a good man and he will help you

    RispondiElimina